How to Control Temperature on a PAX Device
The PAX 2 & PAX 3 portable vaporizer from PAX Labs is beloved for its stunning aesthetics, advanced functionality, and unparalleled discretion. This vaporizer is the first in the PAX family to support the vaporization of concentrate and dry herb material.
As you get to know your PAX device, you’ll learn the importance of temperature to your vaping experience. Choosing a temperature has a tremendous influence on nearly every component of the vaporization experience, from taste to the size of the vape cloud produced. Luckily, the PAX 3 supports temperature settings down to the degree, so you can truly fine-tune your portable vaporizer to perfectly support your desired outcome.
The importance of temperature while vaping
Temperature is crucial to the vaping experience. The temperature directly impacts the amount of vapor produced. If you want to minimize vapor, stick within the lower range of temperatures. However, if you like the effect of a large vapor cloud, go ahead and turn up the heat.
Lower temperatures help preserve your materials, ensure that the vapor is rich and flavorful, and support a more discreet experience by decreasing the smell and generating small vapor clouds. Additionally, low temperatures can improve the taste and aroma of your cannabis.
Higher temperatures support large vapor clouds and typically result in bitterness. Choose the temperature that best supports the experience you want to have.
What are the PAX 2 & PAX 3 temperature settings?
PAX 2 & PAX 3 supports a temperature range from 360°F from 420°F. You can access four temperature presets by pushing down on the mouthpiece. The four-petal LED indicator will change color depending on the selected preset.
- 360°F: The lowest of the four presets is represented by one green petal on the LED indicator.
- 380°F: This setting is represented by two yellow petals on the LED indicator.
- 400°F: Three orange petals will light up when this temperature setting is selected.
- 420°F: The highest temperature setting is represented by four red petals.
In addition to these temperature settings, PAX 3 also supports Dynamic Modes for further customization. These modes, unique to the PAX 3, include:
- Standard Mode: When placed in this mode, your PAX 3 will balance flavor preservation and vapor production by increasing oven temperature only while the portable vaporizer is in use. Temperature spikes when your lips are detected, while the device automatically cools down once it hasn’t been touched for 20 seconds.
- Boost Mode: This mode increases vapor production without changing the temperature setting you prefer. In Boost Mode, temperature accelerates faster, standby time is doubled, and the device takes longer to cool.
- Flavor Mode: PAX 3 will heat and cool faster when in flavor mode, resulting in vapor production on demand without undercutting flavor.
- Efficiency Mode: Oven temperature increases by 1 degree for every two seconds PAX 3 is in use. This delivers reliable and consistent vapor without rapidly consuming your material.
- Stealth Mode: To reduce odors and vapor production, Stealth Mode maintains a lower temperature, enters standby mode in half the time, and begins the cool-down process quicker than normal.
LED settings while using temp set mode
Keep a close eye on PAX 3’s LED indicator while adjusting the temperature in “temp set” mode. The light color and pattern change as you fine-tune your temperature for your preferred experience.
- One green petal: This indicates that PAX 3 is on the low-temperature setting of 360° Fahrenheit.
- Two yellow petals: This color means that PAX 3 is set to a medium temperature setting of 380° Fahrenheit.
- Three orange petals: PAX 3 is on a medium-high setting of 400° Fahrenheit when this combination of LED lights and colors is on display.
- Four red petals: This indicates that PAX 3 is on the highest setting of 420° Fahrenheit.
How long does PAX Device take to heat?
PAX 3’s heat-up time depends on the temperature you select, but overall, heat-up time has been reduced significantly from previous models.
PAX 3 heats in approximately 22 seconds. By comparison, the PAX 2 takes approximately 45 seconds to heat. PAX 3 may reach the selected temperature faster when a lower setting is selected, while it may take longer if you wish to use your vaporizer on its highest-allowable temperature. No matter which setting you select, a quick vibration will notify you when PAX 3 is properly heated and ready to use.
What to consider when selecting your temperature
Now that we’ve established the importance of vaping temperature, you can decide which temperature is best for the type of experience you want to have. Keep these factors in mind while finding your PAX 3 sweet spot:
- Flavor: Do you want to taste the finer notes of the cannabis material being vaporized? Consider keeping the temperature in the 360°F range.
- Material preservation: Lower temperatures tend to consume your cannabis material at a lower rate, so if you want to maximize what’s packed in the PAX 3’s oven, keep your temperature on the lower end of the spectrum.
- Vapor production and vapor quality: Higher temperatures produce larger clouds and more dense vapor.
Using the right temperature to your advantage
Fewer settings on your portable vaporizer are more important than temperature. While design and functionality certainly play a huge part in the vaping experience, temperature plays a big role in determining the size of your vapor cloud, and influencing the flavor of the cannabis material inside your vaporizer. As you get to know your PAX 3, we encourage you to experiment with different temperatures to find the one that’s best for you.